May [the Lord] give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed. We will shout for joy when you are victorious and will lift up our banners in the name of our God. May the Lord grant all your requests.
Psalm 20:4-5 (NIV)
Are you making New Year’s resolutions?
It’s that time of year when we reflect on the past and look to the future. Turning the calendar to a new year presents a fresh start that inspires us to push reset and seize the opportunity for change.
How do you make New Year’s goals?
A Google search yields a variety of step-by-step instructions, one of which begins “just start”. We can dream big, make them attainable and measurable, or set goals we’ll enjoy. There’s another list for help keeping our resolutions which advises us to start small, involve friends and build in rewards.
The lists all miss a key component – prayer.
Whether we bring our intentions for the New Year to God or we allow God to inspire our goals, praying about them daily increases our chance for success. In our prayers, let’s:
- ask God to direct our goals so they align with His will
- ask for His guidance, strength, and endurance
- thank Him for each step forward
- share our fears, weaknesses, and failures
- listen for God’s encouragement
We can add these scriptural prayers:
- Thank you for giving me a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Tim 1:7).
- Thank you for going before me and never leaving me (Deut 31:8).
- My hope is in you, Lord. Help me run and not grow weary (Isa 40:31).
Let’s draw our guidance and strength from God to help our New Year’s resolutions become answered prayers. (tweet this)
What are your goals for the New Year? I’d love to pray for you.
#SeedsofScripture #prayer #newyeargoals #newyearsresolutions